Thursday, May 15, 2008

Observation #4

A. By snake river
B.5-14-08
C.3:30
D.48 degrees Fahrenheit
E.It was cloudy and I felt a couple rain drops. The temperature was a little cold.
F. A bit of wind
G. Soft, and moist
h. The moose won't come back because soon it will get warmer and more hot.
This time when I came to make my observation I focused on the birds. I have not paid very much attention to them before but now as I observed them more closely I have found one of their food sources. This food source I speak of is a bird feeder. The birds crowded around the bird feeder. Interspecific competition exists between these birds over the bird feeder because there is at least two types of birds, Sparrows and an unknown species to me that I could not identify. From a distance you could barely see that some birds were slightly heftier than others, which I am sure is a result of the competition between the birds although it could also be that they are different species of birds. Soil conditions were moist because of little rain we had recieved. I expect worms to rise because of the rain and this could provide birds with a new source of food, expanding their niche.

1 comment:

Ms. Overly said...

Good idea for your fourth observation to focus on one specific community of organisms. It's interesting that even where human impact isn't completely obvious, just the presence of the bird feeder makes an impact regarding competition between birds and limited resources. Do you think that the number of birds would die down if that bird feeder was taken away? Keep looking into the details of our observations (even though it may seem tedious) as this is what will add depth to your study!